Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

ARE CIVIL SERVANTS STILL OBEDIENT SERVANTS?

There was a time I used to receive letters from the government signed your obedient servant. It made me proud that I was an employer of a very obedient servant. I therefore coughed my PAYE (pay as you eat, we called it) tax very happily. I was not even afraid of the GPT because I at least enjoyed the role of a master employer.
Somewhere along the line, the servant forced his way into my house. He started by not being obedient, then he decided that he could no longer proclaim loudly and in writing that he was my servant. He was no longer sincere and could not dare claim he was faithful. He kept double dealing moving from my employment to others on the side stealing my hours. He could not claim to be true as he never kept any promise or fulfilled any pledge. Finally he ceased to be even civil to me. He became my master and started demanding advance pay before providing services.
We had to share costs, share the labor, I pay for added value, genuine or mystic, I pay fuel levy and a milliard of other visible and invisible taxes. This created a dilemma since I was still paying him his monthly salary, allowances and stipends. I was no longer the master but the servant. Only one thing did not change, I continued paying the servant without the servant giving the services.
That is why I continue to suffer, one day dying from lack of food, another from eating un-inspected meat, another from the terror of the thugs at night, but I am still the employer only this time of a not so obedient servant. Only after catastrophic events will the servant come and arrogantly demand why I should embarrass him by exposing his inefficiency.
Your obedient master,
Charles Wairia.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?